BE GUIDED BY THE BEST
The Iowa JPEC Alumni–Student Mentoring Program was established to connect entrepreneurship students with esteemed alumni in order to enhance students’ professional and personal development for future success. This program is available to students who are working towards achieving one of Iowa JPEC's entrepreneurship majors or certificates. It is currently offered as part of the ENTR:3050 Professional Prep class.
Through this course, students are matched with alumni mentors and complete assignments to help prepare each student for life after college. In addition, mentors also help provide guidance to students in many other areas including:
- Career exploration
- Resume review
- Mock interview/interview advice
- identifying and exploring strengths
- Transition from college life to work life
- General life advice
From helping you discover your talents, to supporting you through your intern or job search, to providing you insight about how to succeed - a mentor is a key player in your life journey. Your mentor will stimulate your growth, provide meaningful opportunities for you to learn, and help you become successful in your classes, student org, new job, or any of your personal and professional goals. What sets our program apart from other mentoring programs? The Iowa JPEC mentoring program is known for the following unique characteristics:
- Personalized pairing of mentor and student based on career aspirations and personal interests
- Tools and resources to help you build your relationship with your mentor
- Tracking of mentorship goals and accomplishments
- To be eligible for this program, students must be enrolled in ENTR: 3050 Professional Prep course. This course is offered in both the fall and spring semesters.
- Meet with your selected mentor on a regular basis, via phone, Skype, FaceTime, or in person. You are expected to meet with your mentor to complete class assignments. However, additional meetings can be added as determined by you and your mentor.
- Fill out end of the semester survey on your experience as a mentee.
- After the class ends, you may choose to continue to work with your mentor. During this time, you would identify the skills, knowledge, and/or goals that you want to achieve and communicate these with your mentor and begin to work together.
The Iowa JPEC Alumni–Student Mentoring Program is a great opportunity to receive valuable coaching, support, and feedback to move you forward on your professional and personal goals. To get involved, enroll in the ENTR:3050 Professional Prep course below.