INNOVATE. LEAD. SUCCEED.
The Bachelor of Arts in Enterprise Leadership provides an option for College of Liberal Arts and Sciences students wanting to focus on business and entrepreneurial leadership. The major promotes critical thinking, creativity, and innovation through understanding how to strategically address complex issues to meet consumer and organizational needs. Students also learn how to build and lead diverse teams and understand how social and cultural issues impact organizational effectiveness. Even better, this major is available on campus in Iowa City, as well as online for the convenience of our students.
The John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center and the Division of Interdisciplinary Programs jointly administer this major; the degree is awarded by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Enterprise Leadership is one of the fastest growing majors at the University of Iowa.
BENEFITS AND SKILLS
- Problem solving
- Critical thinking
- Communication skills
- Team management
- Workplace diversity
- Innovation and creativity
- Strategic business planning
- Professional networking
- Negotiation skills
- Global awareness
- Sustainability issues
POTENTIAL CAREER PATHS
- Project Manager
- Business Analyst
- Associate Product Manager
- Account Manager/Executive
- Marketing and Communications
- Business Development
- Sales Executive
- Human Resources
- Lead Operator
LAUNCH YOUR CAREER
When you graduate with an Enterprise Leadership degree, you will have a solid foundation in entrepreneurial management, leadership, and communication skills that will prepare you for a variety of professional career opportunities, including starting your own business. You'll apply innovative problem solving and critical thinking skills to contemporary issues, develop strategies to seize upon opportunities, and build and lead successful teams.
Whether you choose to work in a corporate, mid-sized business, or nonprofit setting, you’ll be prepared for positions in general management, business analysis, marketing and communications, management consulting, and project management.
Students will complete courses from the following six areas of study:
- U.S. Cultural Diversity
- Capstone Experience
- Minimum of 120 s.h., including a minimum of 47 s.h. of work for the major
- Students must maintain a GPA of at least 2.00 in all courses
- All students must complete the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences General Education Program
* Students may earn the BA in Enterprise Leadership or the Certificate in Entrepreneurial Management, but not both.
- Significant experiential learning opportunities within the curriculum—students will apply their learning to real-world problems throughout the program
- Substantial support for students seeking to launch a new business including mentoring, access to capital, and technical support
- Opportunities to network with successful entrepreneurs, business leaders, and University of Iowa alumni
Please review the following clarifications with your advisor.
- Students in the BA in Enterprise Leadership can double major, however they must follow the “no more than three course overlap” rule.
- Students enrolled in the BA in Enterprise Leadership cannot also pursue the Entrepreneurial Management Certificate.
- Students in the BA in Enterprise Leadership may also pursue a Business minor as long as they follow the “no more than three course overlap” rule.
- Students in the BA in Enterprise Leadership may also pursue a Leadership Certificate as long as there are no more than two courses that overlap.
GRADUATE WITH HONORS IN THE MAJOR
Take your credibility up a notch by graduating with honors in the major of Enterprise Leadership. Honors designation shows employers and graduate admissions committees that you were both successful in your coursework and interested in going above and beyond usual graduation requirements to distinguish yourself. It is evidence of an ability to research, write, work collaboratively with a faculty member, present research and findings to the public, and achieve a goal.
Satisfactory/Fail graded. (1-3 semester hours)
Interested in earning a BA in Enterprise Leadership? The next step is picking your convenient location.