Congratulations to the winners of the Fall 2020 IdeaStorm Competition! This competition was recently hosted by the John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center (Iowa JPEC) and for the first time ever, was held in a virtual format with students submitting video pitches.
IdeaStorm is an entry-level pitch competition open to all UI students. This competition is designed to introduce students to innovation by encouraging them to share their idea in a 1-2-minute video watched by a panel of judges. Students do not need a business plan, prior pitching experience, or a presentation to pitch - this allows students to have an easy introduction to the world of entrepreneurship.
A total of 72 individuals pitched their innovative business ideas. These students represented a variety of majors and areas of study making this competition a great example of multidisciplinary innovation across UI's campus. The top ideas selected by judges were awarded cash prizes for each category, as well as a People's Choice award that was voted on by the public. Winning pitches can be viewed on our website: https://www.iowajpec.org/events-competitions/ideastorm-winners.
As you will see below this semester’s participating students represented a wide variety of academic areas. Congratulations once again to our Fall 2020 IdeaStorm winners!
Health Initiatives | Students shared ideas that aim to help create better well-being through healthcare innovation.
- 1st Place, $500 | Marissa Mueller (Biomedical Engineering)
- Apply plasmapheresis to gene therapy
- 2nd Place, $400 | Kelsey Dawes (Molecular Medicine)
- Diabetes Screening Test
- 3rd Place, $300 | Matt Fuelberth (Health and Human Physiology)
- Tinnitus Therapy App
- Honorable Mention, $200 | Kailey Fellner (Biomedical Engineering)
- COVID Protective Barriers
- Honorable Mention, $200 | Abhismitha Ramesh (Epidemiology)
- Pregnancy Support Network
- People’s Choice, $150 | Kailey Fellner | COVID Protective Barriers
Creative Concepts IdeaStorm | Students shared ideas that focus on a variety of creative mediums such as fine arts, fashion, design, music, history, literature and more.
- 1st Place, $500 | Alex Fox (Printmaking)
- 3D Makeup Application Model
- 2nd Place, $400 | Cay Warner (Art and Art History)
- Social Gaming App
- 3rd Place (tied), $300 | Sydney Sears (Graphic Design)
- Elementary Student Music Service
- 3rd Place (tied), $300 | Emily Kula (Art)
- Kids Art Subscription Box
- Honorable Mention, $200 | Calli Everett (Art and Communication Studies)
- University Art Scavenger Hunt
- People’s Choice, $150 | Calli Everett | University Art Scavenger Hunt
Common Good IdeaStorm | Students shared ideas that inspire change through social and sustainable solutions that benefit the common good.
- 1st Place, $500 | Abby Rice (Communication Sciences and Disorders)
- Open Source Food Distribution
- 2nd Place, $400 | Sarah Schlosser (Book Studies)
- Child Care Matching Service
- 3rd Place, $300 | Michael Dankanich (Economics)
- Receipt App
- Honorable Mention, $200 | Mitchell Kabenda (Global Health Studies)
- Organic Skin and Haircare
- Honorable Mention, $200 | Thomas Bruno (Engineering)
- Air Blowing Device
- People’s Choice, $150 | Abby Rice | Open Source Food Distribution
Consumer Solutions IdeaStorm | Students shared ideas that explored solutions to everyday problems through new products or services.
- 1st Place, $500 | Emily Klingel (Art)
- LGBTQ+ Social App
- 2nd Place, $400 | Tyler Radcliff (Film and Video Production)
- Golf Social App
- 3rd Place, $300 | Anna Fox (Interdepartmental Studies)
- Track My Goat
- Honorable Mention, $200 | Olivia White (Psychology and Enterprise Leadership)
- Bartender in a Box
- Honorable Mention, $200 | Nicole Majerus (Human Physiology)
- Sheet Sleeve
- Honorable Mention, $200 | Kristoff Poole (Management)
- Cricket Protein Powder
- People’s Choice, $150 | Olivia White | Bartender in a Box
Thank you to all our amazing judges!
Iowa JPEC is committed to helping students, faculty, staff, and community members launch and grow businesses. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you think we can be of assistance. To find out additional information about other opportunities available to students of all areas of study, please visit our website.
Congratulations once again to all students and colleges who had students pitch in these competitions!